Saturday, July 9, 2011

MELI'S CHICKEN ADOBO and EMBELLISHED RICE



I have heard of chicken adobo since I lived in Hawaii, quite a few years ago, yet had never tasted it.  A few days ago, I looked for a recipe so I could try my hand at making some. What I found is that there are two variations; the Filipino style and the Mexican style.  So, being the adventurous (or reckless?) cook that I am, I decided to combine the two styles and came up with my own recipe.  According to my college-student son, it turned out awesome!  I humbly have to agree!  So, here is the recipe for Meli’s Chicken Adobo!  I also am adding instructions for the rice dish I “threw together” to accompany it- nothing fancy but it was quite tasty for a simple rice side dish. By the way, as I was raiding my garden for fresh herbs, I randomly decided to throw in a couple squash blossoms (since the bugs get to the actual squash before I can!).  The blossoms are totally NOT a required ingredient (but I do like the hint of flavor they gave)!




MELI’S CHICKEN ADOBO

INGREDIENTS:
Adobo Sauce:
2 Tbs cooking oil
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 medium cloves garlic, chopped
8-10 dried guajillo peppers
1-1/4 cup chicken broth
3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
Chicken:
6 chicken breast halves, cut as directed below
2 limes, cut in 4 wedges each
DIRECTIONS (Note: my directions look long but that’s because I add extra helpful details.):
Prepare dried peppers by cutting off stems, making a slit lengthwise, and scraping out seeds and veins.  Cut into 2 inch pieces; set aside. Saute the chopped onion in a skillet or heavy saucepan, in hot oil, over medium-high heat until it looks clear (about 4-5 minutes).  Add garlic and saute about 3 more minutes (do not let garlic get dark or it turns bitter).  Then add the dry peppers and saute another 3 minutes or until they are dark.  Add the remaining 4 ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer for 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Let mixture cool until not too hot for your blender (or food processor). Put into blender or food processor and pulse until mixture is smooth.  Let it cool.
Meanwhile, remove any fat from chicken pieces.  Cut each breast into 4 pieces, slicing across the short way (this makes large chunks rather than tenders).  Put cooled adobo sauce into a large zip lock plastic bag.  Add all the chicken, making sure each piece is well-coated.  Close bag securely and put in frig for 4 hours to overnight.
To grill:  Heat stovetop grill to medium-high (be sure to oil the grill with vegetable oil).  Remove chicken from plastic bag, allowing excess sauce to drip off (discard leftover sauce).  Place chicken pieces on grill and cook on both sides until just done (inside will be juicy but no longer pink). I try to only turn them over once so the grill marks look nice.
Serve with lime wedges, to drizzle over chicken, if desired.  I like to serve this dish with a side dish of rice.



MELI’S EMBELLISHED RICE
INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cups medium or short grain white rice
3 cups chicken broth
1 medium clove garlic, grated
1/3 cup fresh mild chile pepper, minced (i.e., Anaheim chile)
3 Tbs fresh minced chives (can substitute 1-1/2 Tbs dried chives)
1-1/2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves (can substitute 3/4 tsp dried thyme)
zest of 1/3 lime
(TOTALLY optional: 2 squash blossoms, chopped finely)
1 tsp salt (if broth is unsalted, use 1-1/2 tsp salt)
1 Tbs butter or margerine
DIRECTIONS:
Put all ingredients in a medium saucepan (a heavy pan is best).  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then cover and lower heat to where rice slowly simmers (otherwise your rice will burn on bottom of pan). Simmer for 15-20 min, until liquid is absorbed. Serve with main dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment