Wednesday, June 29, 2011

CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE


FROM:  
The Steinbeck House Cookbook
Compiled by The Valley Guild,Salinas, California
132 Central Ave, Salinas, CA 93901

YOU WILL NEED:
For the Casserole:
1 lb ground beef (I used 80% lean)
1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz can chopped green chilies
2 oz Jack cheese, shredded
6 eggs
1/2c.flour
2 c.milk
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of Tabasco sauce
For the Red Sauce:
1 Tbs oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp oregano
[Note:  I used fresh tomatoes and oregano in the sauce, as well as increasing the garlic to 2 cloves. In the casserole, I increased the cheese to 3 oz.]

INSTRUCTIONS:
For the Casserole:
Brown together the ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper.  Add diced green chilies. [Note:  Recipe doesn’t specify, but I drained the chilies.]  Add grated cheese.  Put into 6x 10 in greased pan.
Beat the eggs until frothy; add the flour and blend well.  Add the milk and remaining casserole ingredients and beat until smooth  Pour over chili-meat mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins, or until custard is set.  Let stand 10 mins to firm up custard before serving.  Serves 8. Serve with Red Sauce.
For the Red Sauce:
Saute the onions and garlic in oil.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil and simmer. [NOTE: Recipe doesn’t specify how long, I simmered it for about 25 minutes.] Pour over casserole when ready to serve.

COMMENTS AND OBSERVATIONS:
To be honest, I expected this recipe to create more of a ”stand-out” dish than it delivered.  It was tasty but not something I would rave about or serve for company.  I felt it fell short of the reputation the Steinbeck House has for outstanding home-style cooking.  It would be a good dish to add variety to the family dinner table and the casserole was quite easy to make.  But, although I thought the sauce was the best part of the recipe, I think for a busy home cook it would work just as well to serve this with bottled or fresh salsa on top.
In glancing through the other recipes in this cookbook, I see quite a few that intrigue me.  Since I have eaten at the Steinbeck House several times and the food has always been of excellent quality, I am going to give some other recipes a try.  If I come across some “keepers”, I will share them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment