Tuesday, September 13, 2011

PCC KNOCK-OFF POI BREAD

As I mentioned in the PCC Knock-Off Fried Rice post, this is from a friend who worked in the PCC kitchen in the mid-1970's. I haven't made it myself, but I have tasted it and it is ono (yummy)!  I am not sure how many loaves it makes, but as you only use 2 cups of batter per loaf, I think it makes quite a bit!  My guess would be about 4-5 loaves.

PCC-KNOCK OFF POI BREAD
[Note:  Needs to be refrigerated overnight.]
INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 lbs poi (or use dehydrated poi and reconstitute according to package)
(NOTE: on the mainland, some Walgreen’s stores carry frozen poi from Hawaii.)
5 eggs
1-3/4 c cooking oil
3/4 c water
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1-1/2 c sugar
3 c flour
1 Tbs baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs cinnamon
1 c raisins (I prefer golden raisins)
1 c flaked coconut
INSTRUCTIONS:
With an electric mixer, mix thoroughly the first 5 ingredients.  Then add in the next six ingredients.  Do not over-mix the dry ingredients or bread will be tough, just stir enough to moisten.  Fold in the raisins and coconut.  REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT, lightly covered (will rise a little).  When ready to bake, preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Stir mixture lightly, then put in well-greased bread pans, using only 2 cups of batter for each pan.  Bake for 30-45 minutes, until springs back when touched in center.  Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment