Saturday, September 10, 2011

MELI’S MEXICAN RED-GREEN SAUCE

I participate in a wonderful program called Bountiful Baskets, where we get beautiful produce right from the farmers at really great prices!  Every other Saturday I pick up my baskets full of fresh fruits and veggies (see last photo in "Images of Summer" Post, just before this one). We also have the opportunity to get "extras", one of them being the Mexican pack. In this recipe I used part of 7 of the 10 items in the pack!  I started out to make a green sauce but decided along the way to add a can of crushed tomatoes. So, that's why it is now a red green sauce!  This is my original recipe. I think for a Gringo, I did pretty well!  If you try it and have any suggestions, let me know!
Oh, and I can't believe it, I forgot to take a photo again!  I used a little of the sauce in some leftover cheddar broccoli rice- yum!- and put the rest in the freezer (for enchiladas next week). Will add photos when I use it!


INGREDIENTS:
5 Anaheim chili peppers
3 large poblano peppers
7 tomatillos, outer skin removed
1-1/2 cup chicken broth
1 can crushed tomatoes (you could use fresh if you want)
6 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
cilantro, about 1/3 cup, chopped
7 leaves fresh basil (or 1-1/2 tsp dried)
2 sprigs of fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
salt, about 2 Tbsp
1-1/2 Tbsp sugar
optional: 1/4 jalapeno, seeded (adjust this to how much heat you like)
DIRECTIONS:
Ahead of time (can be the day before), roast the first 3 ingredients. Brush with cooking oil and put in oven at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour, until skins bubbles and peppers start to brown.  Let cool, then remove outer skin on the peppers (tomatillos are fine as-is).  
In a medium-large pan combine all ingredients, including prepared peppers and tomatillos.  Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about a half hour.  If sauce is too thin, remove lid and simmer until desired consistency.  Add more broth if it is too thick, and simmer 5 minutes more.  When done, adjust salt if needed. When sauce is cool enough, put in blender and process just until it is semi-smooth (should still look a little chunky).  
Sauce freezes well.  Is excellent for making enchiladas or Spanish rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment