Saturday, October 8, 2011

ROASTED FIGS WITH HONEY AND ROSEMARY

Roasted Figs with Honey and Rosemary

I participate in a wonderful fresh foods co-op (Bountiful Baskets) where we get a variety of in season fruits and veggies in each order.  Recently one of the fruits was figs.  As a kid, figs were the only fruit I disliked and I had never tried them as an adult. So, I decided to be "adventurous" and prepare the ones I received. I found this recipe online, unfortunately I don't remember where, so I can't give credit for it. I found out that I really love figs now! So, maybe I AM my mother's daughter, as a bowl of fresh figs with cream is one of her favorite delicacies!
INGREDIENTS:
1 pint fresh figs
1/3 cup honey
4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
Fresh cracked black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat the oven to 375F. Wash and stem the figs. Slice in half and arrange cut side up in a baking dish. Drizzle the honey over top and cut the sprigs in half and tuck between the figs. Grind fresh pepper over everything.
Roast for about 15 minutes, or until the honey is just being to get dark and caramelized. The figs should not be too soft - you need to be able to pick them up with your fingers.
Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Arrange on a plate with a soft cheese and mild crackers. Drizzle the juices and honey left in the baking dish over the figs and cheese. Make open-faced sandwiches on the crackers with cheese, then a fig.  Serves 4 as an appetizer

No comments:

Post a Comment